Where are the right sites to place your home security cameras in Columbus? Normally, you should consider three primary areas of your property for video protection: your principal entryway, the exterior space around your home, and key interior rooms. Although your provider is able to recommend where you should install, consider the following best practices on where to place your home security cameras throughout your property.
Always Safeguard Your Front Door
Although it may seem crazy that a criminal would make an effort to just walk in the front door, 34% of break-ins happen at this obvious access point. You also have package thieves among other threats to deal with. Doorbell surveillance is perfect to tackle all of these worries with an HD, wide angle lens.
Doorbell cameras are even more beneficial as you can chat with all guests who approach and ring the bell. By using your cell phone app, like ADT Control, you have the option to respond to each instance with 2-way talk and live video and look like you’re home. When a visitor does try to do something questionable, you will have your video doorbell automatically record a clip and send it to your cell phone through a text.
Plan Ahead to Maximize Coverage With Your Outdoor Cameras
Figuring out where to place home security cameras around your property is a more challenging task. Thankfully, there are some useful recommendations to make sure your home is safeguarded appropriately.
- Cameras at the corners of your Columbus home offer a large viewing angle, seeing two segments of your exterior.
- Right under an overhang or straight into a piece of trim or siding are ideal locations for surveillance devices as they will be partially hidden by your home.
- On top of your garage, as the garage door is an easier access point for intruders than you’d think!
- Above a deck or sliding door -- or any doorway that can’t be seen from the sidewalk.
To make sure these locations are successful, you should always prune any brush and branches that might obstruct the camera’s view.
Recommendations For Getting The Highest Level of Performance From Your In-Home Surveillance
You have quite a bit more flexibility on where to place home security cameras on the interior of your property in Columbus. But the additional flexibility results in there being additional aspects to think about:
- Windows and Sunlight: While you’ll want to be certain your windows are closed and locked, the sunlight through a window may cast a glare on your video recording. Direct your interior camera lens away from any direct views of windows to eliminate this problem.
- Take the High Road: In the same fashion as an observation deck, a video camera installed in a high place will have a wider field of vision. Consider putting your cameras above bookshelves or attached to the ceiling.
- Prevent Access by Children and Pets: Your camera won’t be able to protect you if it’s broken. Place your indoor units in locations where kids and your furry friends aren’t able to tamper with them. Consider mounting or a different method of securing them to make sure they don’t fall if accidentally bumped.
- Use Plants and Decor to Your Advantage: The best surveillance system will fail to be of much use if you have a houseplant obstructing the field of vision. But it’s important to note, potted plants and other decor items also have the ability to hide your recording devices. Just ensure they don’t impede the view!
Turn to Secure24 Alarm Systems And Find the Right Place For Your Home Security Cameras
For expert installation of your home security cameras and additional security components, turn to the professionals at Secure24 Alarm Systems. Let us customize the perfect system for your whole house -- defending every square foot. Simply contact (706) 397-7027 or submit the form below to start your project.